Now that we have seen the back of 2012, it is time for me to reflect on the 12 moments in 2012 that brought me great joy (and, in no particular order):
1. Met Xuan – she has changed my life here in Hong Kong and changed my life forever. Perhaps I need to do a whole post on her altogether.
2. I started work in a human rights law firm – where I met Xuan. I have learnt a lot about the nature of the world, the endurance of human spirit, and to never give up even when some days I question the progress we make in the minds of many people.
3. Luke’s parents paid us a visit in Hong Kong. They saw our home and community in Discovery Bay. Hopefully they will be back in 2013!
4. Remy’s personality really started to shine through. She is a real character and keeps everyone in the family laughing, pretty much all the time.
5. Amaya became my friend. She is such a lovely and gentle girl. We have interesting conversations about the world around us and the actions of people.
6. I swam 1km again and again and again – non stop. BC (before children) I swam all the time. Now I’m back into 1km, but not yet at the speed I once did.
7. I finally had my hair straightened – I feel and look completely different. The too is another post!
8. I met my hero – Michael Kirby. A remarkably intelligent and driven man. It is because of him – he is the very reason – I work in human rights.
9. Tanya and Tim came to visit us in Hong Kong. Tanya and I had the opportunity to have some solo time together. I miss my Australian friends – dearly. It was so lovely to have her here with me.
10. I feel more brave than I ever have before having survived one year in the expat life.
11. I don’t feel so homesick and Hong Kong feels more like home.
12. I now have two full time helpers – this too is for a whole other post – but, these two women in my life are my biggest support networks when it comes to living with Art. They have changed my pain levels in ways they can never possible know. And my daughters have twice the love. As for my husband, he is now also not restricted by Art. His life is more free than it has ever been before – and for that I feel less of a burden.
What were you highlights – or heart warming moments – for 2012?